At one time or another each of you has had a breakfast concoction called a “strata”. You know what I mean – one of those sliced-bread-on-the-bottom, eggy/cheesey/milky-mixture-poured-over-the-top, kept-in-the-refrigerator-overnight-and-cooked-in-the-morning-thingies. They are usually too dry, too salty (especially if there’s sausage involved), and just not worth eating.
However, when we have overnight guests, it’s not great fun to awaken hours before everyone else and start whipping up gourmet delight. That’s when we all too often pull out one of the tried-but-not-true “strata” recipes. For lack of anything better, they’ll do.
Well, I’m here to give you something better. Actually, my friend Vicki gave me something better.
I have fixed this several times to hungry guests who all raved about it. Give it a try next time you need an AM life saver. All you need to do is put it in the oven, set the timer, go get dressed, section the grapefruit, fix some toast and grapefruit, make sure the coffee’s ready, set the table, pour the juice, remember the salt and pepper, get the cream for the coffee, put the jelly in a pretty bowl, get the jelly spoon, get the sugar, sweetener….
Well, anyway, there’s always a lot to do, but this recipe will help somewhat. By the way, it’s easy to double. When I double it, I bake it in a buttered 9 x 13 pan.
Thanks, again Vicki.
VICKI’S BREAKFAST PIE
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. corn flakes, crumbled
1 T. bacon fat or melted butter
2 1/2 c. shredded refrigerated hash browns
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar)
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/3 c. milk
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Cook the bacon, drain on paper towels, and crumble.
2. Mix the, corn flakes and bacon fat together and set aside.
3. Beat the eggs until foamy and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Butter a 9″ pie pan.
5. Pour in the egg mixture.
6. Sprinkle with the bacon/crumb mixture.
7. Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake 325 degrees for 50 minutes. If doubling, use a buttered 9 X 13″ pan and bake for 60 minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.