So many people love key lime pie. I mean, you have sweet, tart, creamy, crunchy. What’s not to love?
Just as many people love cheesecake. Baked cheesecake, refrigerator cheese cake, chocolate, pumpkin, New York Style. Rich, creamy, slightly tart, slightly sweet. What’s not to love?
I’ve had key lime pie hundreds of times as well as key lime cheesecake and key lime bars. All of them have been delicious. But I found the creme de la creme, the most exalted, the mightiest of the mighty. The Gold Medal winner in the Olympics of lime desserts. It ‘s a Double Layer Key Lime Pie, two layers of tart, citrusy goodness – one a layer of lime cheesecake. It will double your pleasure for sure.
Now to be fair, I must admit that I use the term “key lime” loosely. I don’t use key limes in the preparation of any dessert. I use regular old green, grocery store limes. I did buy a bag of key limes once and got about 1 tablespoon of juice from each. Also, in my part of Ohio, key limes can be hard to find. I never use the jars of juice or the little plastic fake limes or lemons which have to be “enhanced” with preservatives.
So without further ado, here is the recipe. By the way, it’s from Bon Appetit, March, 2004, issue.
TWO LAYER KEY LIME PIE
(May make one day ahead, if desired. Also, no need to use “key limes”; regular ones will do just fine.
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
3 T. sugar
18 oz. canned sweetened condensed milk (divided, 14 oz. and 4 oz.)
3/4 c. lime juice (divided, 1/2 c. and 1/4 cup)
3 large egg yolks
2 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla
8 oz. cream cheese (may use 1/3 less fat variety), room temperature
cool whip or whipped cream for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree. Mix crumbs, butter and sugar, and press into bottome and up sides of a deep-dish glass pie pan.
2. Bake 8 minutes. Cool completely. Lower heat to 300 degrees.
1. Whisk 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 c. lime juice and the 3 egg yolks. Pour into cooled pie shell.
2. Bake 300 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
1. Beat the cream cheese, 1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 c. lime juice, 2 T. sugar and 1 t. vanilla together.
2. Pour over the cooled baked layer. Smooth top.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours.
4. Garnish with whipped cream or cool whip before serving. Store in the frig.