Being home for lunch has its benefits. I have my pick of what’s available in the frig or in the pantry. If I’m really lucky, I have a leftover dish that will be even tastier than it was first time around.
Today I am looking forward to the creamed chicken with biscuits that I prepared for dinner yesterday. I will warm up the chicken and put it over the slightly stale biscuit that I saved for today. I am planning to make a meatloaf for dinner tonight. We will enjoy meatloaf sandwiches for the rest of the week at lunchtime.
Sometimes a side dish from an evening’s meat can be turned into a lunchtime entree. I have a recipe for spinach with beans, canned tomatoes and a little cheese that becomes a delicious lunch with a slice of toasted bread. So it’s both a side dish and an entree. I would even serve it for dinner as the entree if I wanted to have a meatless meal.
SPINACH AND BEAN AU GRATIN
1 T. butter or olive oil3 minced garlic cloves
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chicken broth, low sodium preferred
14-16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 t. dried basil, oregano, or rosemary, or a combination of them
10 oz. fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/4 lb. mozzarella, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven or skillet with high sides.
2. Saute the onion until translucent and add the garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for about 15 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, one cup at a time, and stir until wilted.
5. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper as desired.
6. Transfer to an ovenproof dish or gratin dish, sprinkle with the cheese and broil a minute or two until the cheese is browned.
You can warm up the leftovers in the microwave, toast a slice of bread, and you’re ready for lunch. Nummmmmmmy.