There seems to be a lot of interest in stuffed green peppers. My previous post (“A Favorite Dish”) about stuffed peppers is by far the most visited. Since I never provided the recipe, I will do so now in case people were searching for a complete list of ingredients and procedures instead of just my guidelines.
My only changes to the original recipe are using hot sauce and the corn. I think the addition of corn makes the dish especially good. I also use a little more tomato than called fork, a 14 ounce can instead or a 7 1/2 oz. can. I like more tomato flavor. You might like to give it and the corn a try.
MORGANA’S STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
Based on a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
2 large green bell peppers, halved lengthwise
3/4 lb. ground beef, pork, sausage or combination
1/2 c. chopped onion
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 c. long grain rice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. canned or frozen or fresh corn
1/2 t. dried basil or oregano, crushed
hot sauce, to taste, optional
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar or Colby or Co-Jack or ANY cheese
salt and pepper
1/2 c. water
1. Put large pot of water on heat to boil. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stem end from peppers. Cut out ribs and rinse out seeds. When water boils, put peppers into the pot of boiling water for 3 minutes only. Remove, salt the insides of the peppers. Let drain on towels, cut side down.
2. In a skillet, cook the meat with the onion until the meat is browned. Drain off as much fat as you can. Add the tomatoes with their juice, the uncooked rice, the corn, the Worcestershire sauce and whatever seasonings you desire, 1/4 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper, and the 1/2 c. water.
3. Bring to the boil; reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until the rice is tender, adding more liquid as necessary. When rice is done and the mixture is fairly dry but still moist, add half of the cheese and stir to blend.
4. Fill the peppers with the stuffing and put in a casserole. (An 8 X 8 dish works if the peppers aren’t too large.)
Arrange any leftover meat and rice around the peppers.
5. Bake about 15 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and let stand until cheese melts before serving.
Hope you enjoy the recipe.